Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Northwest Lovin'

I finished my last final at 11:15 today and am now officially a junior. I know, I know. I rock. Now that summer is pretty much official I have two things for you.
Item 1:
Summer Assignment: RECRUIT. I think the goal for the blog should be more followers than contributors. Okay, and now, the good part.

Item 2:
I am a little bit of a music freak. I'm constantly listening to music and when I'm not listening to it, I'm searching for it and reading about it. I especially love the rich and varied music that comes from the Pacific Northwest. A lot of times people have no idea that the PNW is essentially renowned for their great music So here, for your aural pleasure:

Katie's Northwest Summer Playlist
(Guaranteed to give you a better and more Northwesty summer)
  1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (because there really is no other way to start a Northwest playlist)
  2. Goodnight Goodnight - Hot Hot Heat
  3. Never Had Nobody Like You -M. Ward (Also a part of the band She & Him with actress Zooey Deschanel)
  4. Pointer Finger - The Oregon Donor (How clever is that name? TOO CLEVER!)http://www.myspace.com/theoregondonor
  5. Little Slickers - The Globes (New EP out, available on iTunes. Saw them at Elkfest and they were great!)http://www.myspace.com/globesmusic
  6. Fire Island, AK - The Long Winters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQCcSeEZ_R0
  7. July, July! - The Decemberists (This is an old one, but I figure it's fitting for the list. They've got a new concept/rock opera album out and it's really fantastic)http://www.myspace.com/thedecemberists
  8. Rubik's Cube - Yarn Owl (Another Elkfest band...Chloe knows the drummer which is pretty sweet) http://www.myspace.com/yarnowl
  9. Too Fake - Hockey (A band with a member from Spokane! My friend Kelli saw them at Pig Out before they hit the big time and now they've been featured on shows like Vh1's Best Week Ever. The guitarist Brian White's mom works at my high school too) http://www.myspace.com/hockey
  10. Car - Built to Spill ( A classic from one of the most revered Northwest bands of all time. A new album is rumored to come out around October...Hooray!)
  11. Little Bribes - Death Cab For Cutie ( We'll round out the list with one of my favorites! The following link is a killer fan-directed video)http://www.deathcabforcutie.com/news/348/little_bribes_fan_video/

Hope you enjoy the music and have a kicking summer!

Read. Think. Type. Rock.

Katie

5 comments:

  1. yes yes yes!! that's all i gotta say about this amazing playlist! :)

    definitely lovin' the addition of Yarn Owl, (and how would I NOT love the 'Little Bribes'!?!?) I'm thinkin' we should be pro DJ's in our spare time, what do you think Katie?? :D hahaha! talk about an amazing summer job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we have a bright future ahead of us!

    I love supporting local bands and I'm thinking of making this a habit...highlighting local bands and letting everyone know of upcoming shows and giving reviews... Look forward to my first review in the next few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES YES YES! reviews are the best, definitely make me feel like i was there...kinda. :)

    but i totally agree, supporting local bands is one of the best habits! :) believe me, for little bands that are trying to make it, (like nick and i's new band, FADING ANCHOR!) having someone do even the tiniest spotlight or mention really helps.

    (hahahha! - did i just do my own mention??...well, you get the idea)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha definitely...I just posted my first review...hopefully it's good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. deal! i'm headed over there to your brand spankin' new review right now!!

    nothin' like a little music talk to go with the morning coffee...:) that's what i call a happy day.

    btw - LOVE "read. think. type. rock." doesn't it just roll right off the tongue?? AND it would look slammin on a t-shirt...(or a tatoo...:D haha!)

    ReplyDelete