Monday, August 10, 2009

Teen multi-tasking


A lifegaurd, waitress, deliverer of newspapers, harvest-truck driver, and even the 'professional lawn-mower'; all of these make up some of my friends' summer jobs. As all teenagers know, the benefits of summer employment are fairly balanced, (the most popular being the spending money...most excellent...)

What about when school rolls around? Are you holding your job? Jill L. Ferguson, author of Teens, Jobs, and School: The Pros and Cons, writes that The National Comission on Youth states that securing a school-year job can greatly "contribute to the transition from youth to adulthood" while also highlighting the importance of responsible use and management of money.

Not everyone is a believer in the power of school-time employment: In a 1997 study by David Stern researchers found that "students who work longer hours report diminished engagement in schooling, lowered school performance...[and] higher drug and alcohol use."


What's your job-situation once the school year comes full swing? Do you think that jobs teach life lessons?, or make it impossible to focus on school?

6 comments:

  1. ok - speaking of jobs, i just found the COOLEST TV SHOW! it's called 'Confessions of a Travel Writer' on the Travel Channel. (yeah - that channel is definitely one of my guilty pleasures...:D)

    i would have blogged while i watched but i was glued to the screen! being a travel writer is totally a long-time ambition of mine; definitely a school-job i would go crazy to have!

    ohh! but gotta go, Anthony Bourdain's 'No Reservations' is on! YES! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh..

    here's a website 'bout it...

    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/8/10/184025/480/travel/Find+Out+What+Happens+When+5+Travel+Writers+Get+In+Front+of+The+Camera

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been jobless ever since this time last summer...I don't think I could hold down a job and make the grades I need. I mean, I'd be willing to do a workstudy thing, but when the university won't even give it to me (funding issues), well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. work study is a pretty cool program, (although i gotta agree, those funding issues stink...)

    my cousin got an amazing job at her university library through work study. that granted her first pick of the books they got rid of - i was so jealous...:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently in a serious job hunt... I've looked at a few different options, and now I'm starting to fill out apps...

    I found a really good possibility at the new YMCA in town, but there might be a bit of an issue with age requirements... we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely think workin' at the YMCA would be fun, (except I'd probably have to stick to the juice bar or the gym or something...I can't swim.) What kind of age requirements are there?

    (Ha, do you ever just get the urge to sing Y-M-C-A when you talk about it?? I do...) :D

    ReplyDelete