Friday, June 5, 2009

Donuts on the brain?...


I swear ALL my posts won't be about food, but this fodder was just too funny to resist...

Just as Sonic resturants were celebrating the wonders of 'Free Float Day', today people of the 'US of A' are celebrating National Donut Day!

Always falling on the first Friday in June, HolidayInsights.com says the holiday originally "honors the Salvation Army 'Lassies' of WWI," and is also used to raise money for the Salvation Army.


There actually IS some history behind this kooky, (but delicious!) holiday! These volunteer 'lassies' were sent to the front lines of Europe to crank out home-cooked foods and also provide some vital moral support for the troops. HolidayInsights.com even says that these donuts were often cooked in oil inside of the soldier's helmets...(yum, right?)


The first celebration of the holiday came around in 1938 by the Chicago Salvation Army to raise funds during the Great Depression. They copied the original scheme of making donuts for the troops, and thus 'National Donut Day' is born!


So that leaves me wondering... - Anyone cruising by Krispy Kreme?

6 comments:

  1. Yeah that is what i am talking about YUMMM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish!! Now that I've seen that donut photo, I might have to walk to the grocery store and buy myself one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. ironic enough - i'm not that much of a donut fan...but when it comes to those little round things, the "donut holes", that's where it's at!

    i have no idea why those little poufy donut bites are so much better than the real thing, but i could definitely eat my way through a box of those little guys...

    it's that "mini-food" phenomonon...everything is cuter when it's mini-sized...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ROFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm not going to say anything about that, Chloe...I'm too smart to! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was in third grade, I made a truly mini box of donuts: I lined up Cheerios in a tiny box and put powdered sugar, melted chocolate, frosting, or sprinkles on them to make them different "flavors." Then I brought them to school and showed them off, but I wouldn't give them to ANYONE.

    Chloe! How can you not like donuts????? That is unimaginable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's because Chloe's having an oddball moment. :) Don't worry--I like all fish but salmon, if that's any consolation.

    ReplyDelete